New Potato Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing



Adapted from: Jodi Kay
Serves: 3-5 (main vs. side salad)

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
400 g (14 oz) new potatoes, cut into bit sized pieces
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup dried lentils (brown or black) or 1 can lentils, drained
3 stalks curly kale
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley

Dressing:
1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

This is a great salad if you love these ingredients. Yeah. My enthusiasm is overwhelming, I know. I can't say I ever crave this salad. But every time I see a picture of it, I think I LOVE THIS SALAD LET'S MAKE IT. And then I make it and I love it and I'm thankful for photographs of food to remind me of these delicious concoctions. A friend put this salad into perspective for me: it's like a traditional potato salad except no cream/dairy and there is definitely more kale than potato.  

I like this recipe because it's a no-fuss salad. Dress it on day-one and eat it for three more days (it gets better each successive day). The dressing starts off quite tart and settles in over time. Even on the first day, it is still an excellent dish! I paired it with a rosemary focaccia bread recently... mmmm I might need to bring that back into my life. 

Ingredients:
400 g (14 oz) new potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup dried lentils (brown or black) or 1 can lentils drained
3 stalks curly kale
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley

Dressing:
1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F. Add potatoes to a lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and add salt and pepper.

2. Roast potatoes, stirring them half way through roasting, and remove when tender on the inside and crispy and browning on the outside (25-30 minutes).

3. Meanwhile, if using dried lentils, cook the lentils until soft (about 20 minutes) then drain and set aside to cool.

4. Clean the kale and chop into small strips. Massage kale with a very light drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Set aside.

5. To make the dressing, combine the capers, Dijon, and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Slowly add olive oil whilst whisking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

6. Assemble the salad with the kale, potatoes, lentils, dressing, and garnish with parsley.


Comments