Essential Kitchen Tools

This list may grow and change over time, but there are some key tools I have found very helpful when I bake and cook. It is not meant to be an exhaustive list, so keep in mind that essentials like measuring cups/spoons are important. And yes, I have my favourite kinds, but those specific ones are not absolutely essential to enjoying the cooking process. 

Another point I will add: I am a minimalist when it comes to kitchen tools, so I do not subscribe to the need to have an avocado slicer or a special tool to peel of the skin of pumpkin (I'm sure that's a thing, right??). For me, a handy set of amazing knives and a few other multi-purposed tools can do the trick. 


Let's get started! 

Pots and Pans
Other than knives, I have found cooking or baking to be either entirely frustrating or completely amazing based on the quality or material of the cooking vessel. Cast iron pans are preferred as they actually release iron into the heated food, they do not give off noxious chemicals or chip away coatings, and they are oven-safe. The downsides to cast iron pans: heavy, requires time and effort to boil and scrub clean, and not ideal for all foods (e.g. frying or scrambling eggs). I am still on a mission to find a more natural pan that does not require as much upkeep as cast iron. In the meantime, I have been revelling in non-stick. 

On that note, I love Le Creuset. If you can, try to invest in an oven-safe quality dutch oven. Hands down: my favourite cooking vessel ever.

[Click on images for purchase info on lecreuset.com]

Springform pans are so sensible and perfect for making even cakes. If you're debating what cake pans to purchase, definitely choose springform. This set of three are a perfect starter set. 

Knives 
When I moved to Australia, I literally packed my kitchen knives. I'm serious when I say: please invest in a set of quality kitchen knives. They will keep you safe and help the process of cooking feel more enjoyable. I absolutely love my Globals. They cut beautifully, they age well, and I really value that the hilt is built into the blade so there is no risk to loosening over time or food getting stuck in crevasses.  

I read somewhere that a kitchen only needs 5 knives: paring, chopping, steak/meat, fillet, and bread knife. As a vegetarian, I have managed well with a set of four: a small, a medium and a large chopping knife (I use the medium all the time), and a bread knife. The large chopping knife will cut softer meats like fish and poultry, but I have not tried it with steaks or roasts. 

These are links to Global's site for the knives I have (and love). If I could only own one, I would recommend the first one. And definitely invest in a ceramic rod

[Click on images for purchase info on globalcutleryusa.com]

Mixers and Mixing Bowls
Owning a KitchenAid stand mixer is a dream! I had one ever so briefly before moving across the world. It is still patiently awaiting my return, somewhere in storage. I have found that mixer brands tend to boast on their speed or force but I actually prefer something lower powered since most baking items should not be over-mixed/whipped. For me, this KitchenAid stand mixer is the perfect strength for every-day baking. I have used it to make several wedding cakes as well! So it can withstand the time and power of those endeavours. If I could do over, I would choose a glass bowl
[Click on images for purchase info on kitchenaid.com]

Otherwise, a quality hand mixer is also a great replacement. I am currently using this Brevelle one, which has worked better than any stand or hand mixer at mixing all the egg whites into meringue. Even with my KitchenAid mixer, I always found a bit of liquid egg white at the bottom of the bowl. 
[Click on images for purchase info on target.com.au]

I have found that glass and metal bowls are the best bowls for baking and cooking. They can withstand heat in the microwave, or the stovetop for double boiling, etc... Plastic is much more heat sensitive and porous so it will retain colour, flavours, and leach chemicals more easily than glass or metal. When I moved here, I purchased a glass pyrex bowl like this one and it has served me well for so many cooking, baking, and storing needs. I often wash and reuse it for two to three steps of one baking process!

On that note, I will say a glass liquid measuring cup is essential if a choice had to be made between materials. I love my pyrex measuring cup for all the same reasons I prefer using glass bowls. 

Other Kitchen Items

Spatula
I have found much more ease in baking and cooking with a single-piece silicone spatula. Rubber spatulas tend to have a weird taste (now the world knows I probably [definitely] lick raw batter off them) and because they are not all one piece, food debris can get caught in hooks and grooves in the handle. I do not know the brand of the one I have, but this one looks similar

Sieve
I highly recommend investing in a sieve instead of a colander or strainer. This is great for draining cans of beans, cooked quinoa, sifting dry ingredients, and draining homemade custard. It's a one stop shop! The downside to a sieve is that the small pores need attention when washed to ensure no food particles remain. 

[Click on images for purchase info on target.com.au]

Digital Kitchen Scale (g and oz)
Any one will do. I tend to prefer the ones that lay flat against the counter and store away easily. This is an essential item for most cooking and baking, especially for recipes which need precise measurements (like macarons). 


I hope these ideas will help you build your collection or replace some of your old tools as they wear out or get handed down. What are some of your essential kitchen items?

Comments