Carrot Cupcakes



Adapted from: Peas and Thank You by Sarah Matheny

Serves: 22

Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups carrot puree (about 15-20 large carrots)
1.75 cups all-purpose flour
0.75 cups cake flour (homemade: 1.5 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour mixed with 1/2 cup + 2.5 tbsp all-purpose flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb / baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (heaping)
1 tsp nutmeg
227 g (8 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 – 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated

Frosting:
128 g (4.5 oz) unsalted butter, softened
340 g (12 oz) cream cheese, softened
6 cup icing / powdered sugar
pinch of salt 
1/2 tsp vanilla 

The image above was my creation from a 'cupcake decorate' night with university residents where I was experimenting with colour and piping designs.

The very first time I remember eating carrot cake was when I was five or six years old. I was at a family friend's house. I remember the texture of shredded carrot mixed into the fluffy but dry cake. And there were raisins. Those were a fun cake surprise as a kid!

Carrot cake was never really on my radar growing up. Sure, I'd eat it (I preferred it to chocolate cake). But until I was in my early 20s exploring a new cookbook (linked above), I had not thought to make it. 

The first time I baked these, I designed a birthday cupcake golf course from a pinterest idea. They were so delicious, I felt bad as I ate and shared most of them (sorry, fam!). 


My friend is a super-fan of these and even requested them for his wedding (to our mutual friend). What a treat to serve these on their special day! 

Consider these a well-documented and well-tested cupcake. I love them because the spices blend beautifully with the perfectly-balanced-moisture of a dense-not-dense crumb that is not too sweet. One could argue these do well as muffins, but it would be a shame to leave them naked of cream cheese frosting and not call them cupcakes. Trust me. 

These cupcakes freeze well for several months, unfrosted. 

If you had never considered to make carrot cupcakes for various reasons of 'meh', I implore you to reconsider with these.

Ingredients:
2 cups carrot puree (about 15-20 large carrots)
1.75 cups all-purpose flour
0.75 cups cake flour (homemade: 1.5 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour mixed with 1/2 cup + 2.5 tbsp all-purpose flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb / baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon (heaping)
1 tsp nutmeg
227 g (8 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 – 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated

Frosting:
128 g (4.5 oz) unsalted butter, softened
340 g (12 oz) cream cheese, softened
6 cup icing / powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 177 C / 350 F. Steam or cook carrots until soft (about 30 minutes). Drain off excess water, then puree and measure out 2 cups for the recipe. Remaining puree can be frozen if not used right away.

2. Meanwhile, in a smaller bowl, mix flourbaking powder, bicarb / baking sodasaltcinnamon, and nutmeg.

3. In a large bowl, cream together pureed carrots, butter, applesauce, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and ginger. (It will look not appetizing.)

4. Gradually add a little of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until fully incorporated.

5. Fill a cupcake tin with liners and add batter to the cups (about 80% filled).

6. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (17-20 minutes). Allow to cool completely.

7. Whip together frosting ingredients in a hand mixer. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. 

8. Enjoy within 3 days stored at room temperature.

Comments